Choppy playback in iTunes on Windows is often caused by the sound output format in iTunes not matching what has been configured in Windows:
- Right-click on Speaker icon in the notification area, then select Playback devices.
- In the Sound window right-click on your active output device and select Properties.
- In the device properties window, select the Advanced tab.
- Here you have default format; sample rate and bit depth. Now check what has been configured in iTunes.
- In iTunes, press Alt+E and select Preferences.
- In the Preferences window select the Playback tab.
- In the low part of the window you have ‘Bitrate for Audio Playback’ and
’Bits Per Sample For Audio Playback’. Match this up with the sound setting in step 4 above.